This tool is created for the teachers or advanced Chinese learners to type Chinese on a tablet, smart phone or PC that does not have
a built-in Chinese Input Method Editor(IME). It is fast and runs on all the modern web browsers. No additional software or browser plug-ins need to be installed.
As shown in
the screenshot of this online Chinese input system
, it consists of 3 boxes: Pinyin input box,
Chinese text box and candidate character and word box. To type chinese,
- Enter fuzzy Pinyin (Pinyin without tones) into the Pinyin input box, for examples, hao and nihao; use v for ü , e.g. lv
- Press the corresponding number key, or tap the Chinese character or word, to select the character or word from the candidate box
- Press the spacebar to select the first character or word in the candidate box
- Press Page Down or Down Arrow key to show next page of candidates
- Press Page Up or Up Arrow key to show previous page of candidates
- Letters (a to z) and numbers (0 to 9) are used to enter Pinyin and select candidate character or word. All other
ASCII characters are automatically inserted into the Chinese text box
- Press Ctrl key to toggle input cursor to the Chinese text box so you can enter numbers and letters into the Chinese text or
edit the Chinese text, for example, selectively delete some Chinese text, add white spaces or line breaks.
- On tablets or smart phones, tap the Pinyin input box or Chinese text box to switch back and forth
- When you press the backspace key and there is no more Pinyin letter in the Pinyin input box to delete, the last character in the
Chinese text box will be deleted.
The candidate character and word entries are from Arch Chinese Chinese-English dictionary
The Generate Vocab List
button allows you to create a new vocab list from the Chinese text and save it to the cloud for future use.
You can also click the Copy to Clipboard
button to copy the Chinese text and paste it into other pages or applications.